Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Townhouse living


We moved into our Westend townhouse in May 2009. We wanted to be in the Westend because many of our friends live here. It is ideal. All the major highways and freeways: Whitemud, Anthony Henday and Yellowhead are very close and also we have the West Edmonton Mall, Jamie Platz YMCA within a 5 minute drive.

It is an end unit with 3 bedrooms, 1.5 bathrooms with a finished basement. We have a tiny tiny yard. We just got sod last summer so this year is really the first time I can do something in the yard.

I think that you have to live in a place for a while and get the feeling for it. This is why I have just started to decorate it more. I do feel at home here and with the yard being done (which I hated before) I am content and happy to be here.

I guess the most important thing is, that we are not owning the place so everything I make I have to be able to take down. It can't be a permanent change because of course I don't want to repaint the whole place when we move out one day. The other thing is that I want to do it myself on a budget. Inspired by my fellow DIY and thrift store treasure hunter bloggers I will attempt to get the style I want for less...

My inspiration for our living space is the beach, ocean living, living in Hermosa Beach. Our family loves the ocean. I lived in California before I moved to Edmonton so the sound of the ocean, jack johnson on the radio are what I wold like to recreate here in Canada.

First up would be the living room I guess...

These are the two posters that I have. They are from Avery Tillmon (A lovely day and Low Tide )


 I have put these two pictures on canvas (see tutorial here).

Although I love the beach- and ocan-inspired living rooms I do want to keep it somewhat contemporary. Since we only have a small living room and eating area in one I have to be careful about the patterns in order not to overwhelm the place so little accents here and there is what I am looking for.

I found some living room ideas I liked

I live the black dining room set, looks a lot like ours

I would like to get a beige L- shaped sectional couch

I love the coral accents, beige and blue

Our wall gallery was inspired by this picture and check out the couch and chair accent pillows

Accent pillows... oh how I love them. My husband hates them, he says they are pointless but funnily enough I always catch him using one as back support on the couch - all squished up and wrinkled. That in turn I can stand!







To be continued.....

Love,
Karoline



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...